MSD is recognized locally, state-wide and nationally for its commitment to protect public health and the environment and its efforts to implement sustainable water reclamation and watershed management practices.
- MSD Director Gerald Checco was awarded Cincinnati's 2016 Earth Day Environmental Award in the Government category.
- MSD's Muddy Creek and Indian Creek plants earned a "Platinum 5" Peak Performance award for 100% compliance over a 5-year period (2011-2015) with their National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits from the National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA).
- MSD's Little Miami plant earned a 2016 George W. Burke Award for its safety program from the Water Environment Federation (WEF).
- MSD earned the prestigious Platinum Excellence in Management award for 2015-2017 from NACWA. MSD was one of three utilities to receive the award, which is the highest honor a utility can receive.
- MSD's Environmental Lab earned national accreditation from the NELAC institute.
- MSD"s Taylor Creek plant earned a Platinum Peak Performance award for 17 years or consecutive 100% compliance with its NPDES permit from NACWA.
- MSD's Little Miami, Muddy Creek, Polk Run and Taylor Creek plants were recognized for safety initiatives by the Ohio Water Environment Association (OWEA).
- OWEA recognized MSD with Mill Creek Treatment Plant Safety Award for having safety programs in place at the plant.
- OWEA recognized MSD with Wastewater Collection Division Safety Award for excellent safety program in place for its collection system.
- 2015 Design-Build "National Award of Merit” for Oakley Station CSO 551 & 553 Separation Sewer Project from the Design-Build Institute of America.
- MSD was the winner of the prestgious U.S. Water Prize from the U.S. Water Alliance. MSD was honored for its strategy to reduce water pollution, beautify neighborhoods and spark economic development.
- Former MSD Director Tony Parrott was awarded a National Environmental Achievement Award from NACWA. Awardees are honored for significant contributions through outstanding advocacy or innovative projects that positively impact the environment, their utility, their community and/or the clean water industry.
- MSD was the recipient of Uptime Magazine's Best Asset Condition Management Program Award.
- MSD was the recipient of Uptime Magazine's Best Emerging Maintenance Reliability Program Award.
- Ohio Stormwater Association – Lower Mill Creek Partial Remedy (LMCPR) Watershed Approach.
- 2013 Public Administrator of the Year Award, Tony Parrott, Innovation Category.
- NACWA Environmental Achievement Awards - Public Service Award category for recr8OhioRiver website and wireless device app.
- NACWA Peak Performance Awards, presented annually for compliance with NPDES permits.
- Water Environment Research Federation award honoring 20 years of MSD's commitment to advancements in water quality.
- NACWA National Environmental Achievement Awards - Public Information and Education, Educational Program category for Lower Mill Creek Partial Remedy Communications.
- NACWA Excellence in Management (2012 – 2014).
- American Water Works Association (AWWA) – 2012 Diversity Award.
- Polk Run, Sycamore Creek and Mill Creek plants received the Plant Safety Award from OWEA.
- Two City of Cincinnati Seasongood Innovation Awards were received by MSD for the Student Intern Academy, as well as for the eco-friendly Ault Park stormwater diversion project.
- Greater Cincinnati World Affairs Council, Citizen Diplomat, Business Category